I’m very pleased to offer this breathtaking 1920s atmospheric chandelier by Lion Electric!
My two favorite lighting companies are Lightolier and Lion Electric. The former is well known and highly regarded for its quality and extraordinary designs – and high prices! But Lion Electric actually surpassed Lightolier in each respect. Their designs are nothing less than mind-boggling and their fixtures commanded a premium price. And no wonder. Just look at the work embodied in this chandelier. There are so many wonderful details:
- The colors! Most of the frame is Verdigris green, and this is lusciously complemented by amber glass drops, deep red and gold accents, and flowers in blue, yellow, red. There’s also green leaves.
- The upper part of the fixture has five flowers and each holds an amber glass drop.
- There are five more amber drops below, and each hangs from beautifully detailed gold acanthus leaves.
- An amber glass sphere dangles from the bottom.
- Each candle is guarded by a little fence!
- Inside the Verdigris stem there are vines and leaves and three flowers that twist their way up. I love it!
- The bobeches are richly detailed, and there are complementary pieces above and below the stem.
Yep, it don’t get any better.
In addition to the remarkable detailing, also note the lines. The chandelier is full of movement and has perfect proportions. To me, it’s like a work of art that hangs from the ceiling.
The colors are also original and only required a minor touching-up.
While Lightolier is well known, Lion Electric has been eclipsed by time. I assume that the extraordinary level of detail also meant extraordinary prices and the company likely didn’t survive the Depression (while Lightolier is extant today). As such, Lion fixtures are rare.
This fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
DETAILS: The fixture accepts standard base 60W bulbs (not included).
COLOR: See above.
SIZE: The fixture hangs down about 37-inches and is 18-inches wide. I can remove up to 10-inches of chain. I can add chain.
- I love writing this: there’s no damage.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new paper insulators. The vertical wire is new.
- The candle covers are new.
- All the crystals were missing when I purchased the chandelier but the tell-tale mounting holes confirm their former existence. I chose amber as the color was commonly used in the 1920s.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!