1930s crystal chandelier. Rare. Stunning.
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this rare and very beautiful circa-1938 chandelier!
I’m uncertain as to the age of the chandelier although it is not earlier than 1930, and no later than 1950. I estimate very late 1930s.
The chandelier has numerous truly wonderful details:
- The bobeches (the small bowls under each candle) are incredibly expressive! Gorgeous! There’s a matching bowl at the bottom, and just under the chain. Wow. Wow!
- Each candle sits in an intricate glass cup. Wow again!
- I love the long beaded glass chains which elegantly swag down. Nice.
The arms are polished chrome and this adds a nice period touch.
I have not rewired the fixture yet. This will take a week after payment is received. The exposed vertical wire will be cloth-covered like the original would have been (the fixture now has horrible brown plastic wire from a ten years ago).
You can see how different the chandelier looks with shades (not included) or without.
It’s hard finding chandeliers from the 1930s (most chandeliers on eBay are from the 1970s or later). To me, it’s always a thrill when I come across one.
While the chandelier would have been intended for a living/dining room, because of the chrome components I can envision the fixture in your newly renovated kitchen. Or spa bathroom!
This chandelier will be shipped wholly restored and with new wiring, ready to hang, and with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixture accepts standard base 60W bulbs.
- Sadly, the silk shades are not included. Happily, they are commonly available from in places like Home Depot, Restoration Hardware, and Pottery Barn (the latter two on-line even).
- The original ceiling canopy was lost. I used a nickel-plated one that is period correct.
- The large glass ball at the bottom is a replacement.
- Glass. Chrome.
- The fixture hangs down about 35-inches and is 21-inches wide. I can remove up to 8-inches of chain. I can add chain.
- Amazingly, there’s no damage. No cracks, chips, or breaks.
- On one arm a small portion of chrome has worn away, exposing the brass under. This is hard to detect.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring and paper insulators.
- The original chain was corroded (this is common). The new chain is nickel-plated and period correct.
- The beaded glass chains are original. The drop crystals that came with the fixture were also original. However, a few were missing and most has flea bites and with their pointy bottoms chipped off (I hate that!). So, I put on all new drops which precisely match the originals. I can ship the fixture with the original drops if you prefer.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!