1930s Porcelier chandelier
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this amazing 1930s chandelier by PORCELIER!
For many decades, Porcelier made some of the finest lighting fixtures and house wares (they closed in the 1950s). There’s a book on their work:
Collector’s Guide to Porcelier China
By Susan E. Grindberg
This fixture was their very best and most expensive – their pièce de résistance. At a glance, it’s easy to understand why. The chandelier is a knock-out.
I hardly know where to begin, the chandelier has so many outstanding qualities:
- The shade! Oh my! It’s large (16-wide) and beautifully, stunningly molded out of thick glass. There are sweeping designs of flowers and stylized leaves.
- The bottom of the shade is also deliciously molded with a swag frieze. This is incredible when lighted.
- The finial is spectacular. It’s a hand-blown glass sphere with a swirling design, like a miniature tornado! I love it!
- Just above the finial is a wide brass mounting disk. It’s a small detail but oh so important.
- The stem is porcelain (!) with brilliant gold highlights and incredibly pretty and detailed flowers. Wow! Porcelier at its best.
- Above the stem is a solid brass flourish that hangs from the chain. Very nice.
- The canopy is also porcelain, and, like the stem, features brilliant gold trim and intricate flowers.
Basically, you gasp when looking at the fixture. To me, fixtures like this should be in a museum. They are of such a quality, and of such superior design (the details, proportions, and overall look), that we will likely never see such work again. There’s no company making comparable fixtures today. The fixture was also wholly made in the USA. Remember that far, far away time?
I never buy this fixture unless it retains all its components. I am so excited about how original this fixture is that I even retained the highly distinctive porcelain sockets by Porcelier (newly wired of course).
Please also note that the vertical wire is new, and cloth-covered.
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
The fixture accepts three standard base 75W bulbs. You can use LED bulbs.
The brass has been polished. It has not been lacquered.
The finial was an on/off switch. Way cool but sadly the electrical switch is broken (they always are) and cannot be repaired nor replaced.
COLOR: Frosted white shade. Off white porcelain (with a faint yellow hue). Brilliantly colored flowers. Brilliant gold trim. Brass.
SIZE: The overall length is 25-inches. The width is 16-inches. I can remove up to 7-inches of chain; I can add chain.
I love writing this: there’s no damage. Wow. Wow!
There’s minor wear to the gold.
The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring. The sockets have the same porcelain hue as the porcelain stem. Nice.
The chain is original and shows subtle age spots.
The shade has subtle manufacturing irregularities. This is normal.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!