I’m very pleased to offer this rare, extraordinary, and stunning 1940s pendant by the famous Lightolier Company!
Beginning in the 1920s, and for many decades thereafter, the Lightolier Company (extant today of course) made some of the very finest fixtures. Their designs were always simply dazzling, and the quality was the very very very best. When you restore vintage lights such as I do, these aspects are so obvious they tend to jump out. It’s always a particular pleasure restoring a Lightolier!
INTERESTED IN MORE FIXTURES BY LIGHTOLIER?
Please click here:
Wow. I hardly know where to begin; the fixture has so many unusual and beautiful details:
- The shade! OMG! It takes your breath away. I’ve never seen another like it. It’s very large (16-wide), made of custard glass (!), and with a subtle iridescent outer finish. The upper edge has this incredibly, incredibly gorgeous frieze of stylized flowers. Yep, wow. Wow!
- The very upper edge of the shade has a thin metal ring with dashing horizontal lines.
- The finial is a very shallow, wide, distinctive bowl, and exclusive to Lightolier.
- All the metal parts are pewter-like. This is a unique finish for Lightolier. I’ve never offer another one of their fixtures with such a finish.
- The stem is made mostly of cast metal, so it has nice details and heft.
- The fixture is just over 12-inches long, so is ideal for a room with a low-ish ceiling.
What I really love about the fixture is the contrast between the elegant simplicity, and the lush, colorful frieze of flowers. Even the pewter-like finish is subdued so as not to compete. Brilliant.
And speaking of brilliant, the fixture accepts five 60W bulbs, or 300W.
To me, a fixture like this should be in a museum. It’s an honor to temporarily own such an exquisite creation, and a pleasure to restore its full beauty. Made in the USA, and with obvious pride (both design and manufacturing), they really don’t make ‘em like this anymore. Sigh.
Wholly restored and with new sockets and wiring, this fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
DETAILS: The fixture accepts five standard base 60W bulbs.
COLOR: See above.
SIZE: See above. The fixture cannot be shorter or longer.
- I love writing this: there’s no damage. Wow.
- The porcelain sockets and wiring are new.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!