I’m very pleased to offer this rare and extraordinary Porcelier pendant!
For many decades, Porcelier made some of the finest lighting fixtures and house wares (they closed in the 1950s). There’s a book on their work:
Collector’s Guide to Porcelier China
By Susan E. Grindberg
This fixture is the most remarkable Porcelier I have ever offered. Here is why:
- Before the company closed in 1954, they updated their lines and created fixtures unlike anything previous. Like this fixture. Never, never had Porcelier offered an austere frosted white shade. Indeed, all their previous shades were dazzlingly elaborate. And their porcelain components normally featured stunning floral decals. But the porcelain components on this fixture feature elegant gold accents, and porcelain “leaves” on top with eight glass drops. Wow.
- While the shade is simplicity in itself, note the oversize gold disk. It is porcelain. Yes, porcelain! And the gold is, I believe, real gold.
- Then there is the finial. This is a holdover as most Porcelier pendants and chandeliers offered the same wonderful, hand-blown glass finial.
I particularly love the white-on-white quality, and the almost Dr. Seuss-like aspects of the porcelain stem.
The fixture would be a knock-out in a bathroom or bedroom.
In addition to its incredible beauty and high quality, the price of the fixture is directly related to its extreme rarity. The fixture really should be in a lighting museum.
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this fixture is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
DETAILS: The fixture accepts four standard base, appliance-size 60W bulbs.
COLOR: Porcelain white and gold.
SIZE: The fixture hangs down 15-inches and is 14-1/2-inches wide.
- I love writing this: there are no chips or cracks.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring.
- The gold on the stem looks mint. The gold on the large disk under the shade has scratches (see images). It looks like someone once used a large wrench to remove the glass finial. I’d like to go back in time and thwat ‘em.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!