I’m very pleased to offer this incredible pair of 1920s 2-arm sconces by Lion Electric!
During the 1920s, Lion Electric produced some of the most distinctive, stunning, and high-quality fixtures ever created. They are right up there with Caldwell and Lightolier. Their fixtures are rare because they were priced way higher than the average home owner could afford (not quite as high as Caldwell, but higher than Lightolier), and as such not many were sold. Other than the above, I know nothing about the company. I’ve never come across an old catalog, advertisement, or piece of company literature. A Google search turns up nothing. Quite vexing!
This pair of sconces is typical for Lion in that you are immediately struck by their beauty. They are cast brass (of course) and feature oval mirrors. Beveled. The silvering on the mirrors is eroded a bit, and I don’t know if this was a deliberate on the part of Lion (their fixtures looked antique the day the left the factory), or is age-related. No matter, the effect is, I think, attractive.
Poised delicately in front of the mirrors are two very charming flowers. Lovely.
Surrounding the mirrors are rich designs in deep relief.
There are crystal drops hanging from each bobeche, and a sweet amber drop in the center.
The bulbs shown were the typical for the 1920s, but I’ve also seen flame-style bulbs used in old advertisements.
Each candle is controlled by a sweet pull-chain. (Assuming your house is wired as such, the sconces can also be controlled by a wall switch.)
Wholly restored and with new sockets and wiring, this set is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- Sadly, the period-correct, hand-painted bulbs are not included. Happily, I will let you know where to get them.
- The fixtures accept standard base 60W bulbs.
- The brass has been polished but not so much as to remove all the patina. It has not been lacquered.
- The sconces each hang from two screws. So, you will need to drill into your wall. I will supply the screws. It will help if you can tell me what your walls are made of (plaster, sheetrock, wood?). This will affect the mounting plugs I will also include. I will even include the drill bit!
COLOR: Brass with patina.
SIZE: The sconces are 15-inches high, 10-inches wide, and project 4-inches.
- I love writing this: there’s no damage.
- Please see above for details regarding the silvering on the backs of the mirrors.
- The sockets are original (and in fine shape) with new wiring and paper insulators.
- The candle covers are new.
- The crystals were all gone when I purchased the sconces. They no doubt had crystals because of the tell-tale little mounting holes. I could only guess what might have been original. I also selected the sweet amber drop because Lion often used amber drops.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!