1930s (?) silver sconces. PAIR. Museum Quality
1 in stock
I’m very pleased to offer this rather extraordinary, and very high-quality, PAIR of 2-arm Art Deco sconces!
This listing is for a matched pair of sconces.
My research on the sconces has proven elusive. I suspect that the sconces are French made and designed. They could be late 1920s. Perhaps 1930s. But definitely not later than the early 1950s.
They are, as mentioned, of very high quality, and in a league unlike any other sconces I have to offer (and I have some very nice sconces!).
The sconces have two stamps which may indicate their manufacturer. There is what looks like a 2 in two places (one place is hidden), and the numbers 34007 on the back.
The sconces are, I believe, mostly cast brass. They are silver-plated. The candle covers that came with the sconces are brass tubes painted white. Most of the paint has flaked off, likely due to the heat of the bulbs. I cannot confirm if these covers are original or not. I replaced them with off-white cardboard covers (although I will include the metal ones in the shipping box).
Please also note the original mounting buttons.
The sconces are 14-inches high, 9-1/2-inches wide, and they project 4-inches. The part of the backplate that would mount over an electrical box is about 2-1/4 wide by 3-1/8 high.
So, if you are looking for a pair of truly knock-out, important sconces, this pair may be ideal
Wholly restored and with new wiring, this pair is ready to hang, and comes with all the mounting hardware needed!
- The fixtures accept candelabra base 60W bulbs.
- The silver has been polished. It has not been lacquered.
- Sadly, the silk shades are not included. Happily, they are commonly available from in places like Home Depot, Restoration Hardware, and Pottery Barn (the latter two on-line even).
- The sconces are 14-inches high, 9-1/2-inches wide, and they project 4-inches.
- The part of the backplate that would mount over an electrical box is about 2-1/4 wide by 3-1/8 high.
- The only issue is minor. Two of the cone-shaped cups under the candles have cracks. As these face the rear however, they cannot be seen.
- The sockets seem to be original (and in fine shape) with new wiring and paper insulators.
- The candle covers are new.
- The silver plate looks very good (see images) with only minor areas of wear.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping in the Continental US will be…FREE!